These past few days everything has been very peachy in my house. The peach tree in the garden continues to surprise me with the amount of fruit that is giving us. If you could look into my kitchen. I have baskets all around filled with peaches: peaches to give out to friends, peaches to cook with, peaches to eat, peaches everywhere! But I don't get tired ot them. So to change things up, per say, I made a Peach Coffee Cake with Almond-Oat Streusel. It is delicious: soft cake studded with sweet jucy peaches topped with acrunchy streusel. Just amazing.
Peach Coffee Cake with Almond-Oat Streusel
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma
For the streusel:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup toasted almonds roughly chopped
6 tablespoons cold butter cut into pieces
For the Cake:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 firm ripe peaches peeled and cut into 1 inch thick slices
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease and flour a 9-inch spring foarm cake pan.
2. For the streusel: in a bowl combine flour, brown sugar, oats, almond butter and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers cut the butter or rub with your fingers to foarm coarse crumbs and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to mix. Add the flour mixture in three additions alternating with the sour cream (flour-cream-flour-cream-flour). Add vanilla and almond extracts and mix to combine.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly using a spatula. Arrange peach slices in concentric circles slightly pressing down into the batter. Sprinkle streusel on the top.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the toppping looks golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before removing from pan. Let cool completely.